Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Mallya goes back to school
























Clad in a blazer and tie, Vijay Mallya was back in school. This time, however, as chief guest of his alma mater, La Martiniere for Boys, on its 176th commemoration service of the school’s founder, Major-General Claude Martin, last month.
“How completely overwhelmed by nostalgia I was when I drove through the gates this morning — those days, I couldn’t drive through the gates but walked through them,” Mallya said. The chairman of the UB Group also visited some of the classrooms.
He went on to recount some memorable anecdotes of his school life. “I was in Hastings House (Red) at school and that explains my passion for the colour red,” added Mallya, amidst a torrent of claps from students, past and present, especially of Hastings House.


“One of the reasons why I could expand my business beyond the imagination of many of my critics was because of my creativity and the ability to think outside the box — skills that I had developed in school,” he said.
The Senior Cambridge student, who passed school in the early 1970s, also had some tips for the present generation. “Build your communication skills, that will help you win half the battle. My years at La Martiniere gave me self-confidence…how many good deeds and programmes remain half-done because people do not have the self-confidence,” Mallya said.
Memories came flooding back as he walked down by the school field. “My interest in sport developed from here, though I see much less grass here now. Whether it was hockey, soccer or rugby, we were trained hard…”
Mallya also handed over the Founder’s Medals to the outstanding students. The distribution of the award came with an anecdote, too.
“When I was in school, my classmate Rafiq Gangjee got the Good Conduct Medal. About five or six years ago, he handed me that medal on a television programme. He said I deserved it more,” said a sentimental Mallya.
After the ceremony, he stopped to greet his fellow-mates and share a photograph with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...