Friday, October 21, 2011

Nepal's Prime Minister recalls his wedding in Delhi













New Delhi:  Nepal Prime Minister Baburam Bhattarai today went nostalgic as he recalled his wedding 30 years ago with a fellow comrade Hisila Yami in the national capital.

"Both me and Hisila did not believe in rituals. We wanted to have a court marriage," he told a reception in his honour here addressing the audience and "my former student friends,
comrades and gurus".

Bhattarai, who studied at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, recalled how he went to the Tis Hazari court for a quick registered marriage only to be told by a lawyer that the process would take at least a month.

But the same lawyer suggested that Bhattarai, who was keen to join the struggle against monarchy in Nepal, should opt for a wedding according to the Arya Samaj rites which should not take more than a couple of days.

He said he then turned to Swami Agnivesh, who was an MLA of the Janata Party and helped him get the marriage registered the same day itself.

Agnivesh, who also spoke at the reception, recalled how he quickly set up a havan ceremony.

"We lit a small fire. I told Bhattarai and Hisila that fire was the important thing. The two had fire in them to bring about a revolution in Nepal," he said.

"That was about 30 years ago. Our marriage has stood the test of time," Bhattarai said.

He said he was overwhelmed for having started his visit to India as prime minister with an informal gathering of friends and comrades.

"I stayed in Delhi for 10 years. I fought with you. I shouted slogans with you. I sang songs with you. All these memories come as a flashback in my mind. Forgive me if I get carried away, if I get emotional," Bhattarai said.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I love reading through your blog, I wanted to leave a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuation. Wish you best of luck for all your best efforts. Arya Samaj Meerut, Arya Samaj Wedding.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...