Saturday, November 12, 2011

Ram Jethmalani meets Rajiv Gandhi case convicts in jail

CHENNAI: Noted criminal lawyer Ram Jethmalani on Saturday met Murugan, Santhan and Perarivalan, the three convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, at the high-security central prison in Vellore. Recently, Jethmalani appeared for the three convicts in the Madras high court when their petition seeking commutation of death sentence came up for hearing. 



Accompanied by MDMK general secretary Vaiko, Jethmalani spent about 15 minutes in the prison talking to the convicts. "I wanted to hear it from them. They say they are innocent. I can't share what my clients have told me and what my convictions are," he told reporters after the meeting. He was in Vellore to deliver a lecture. "It was on the invitation from Vaiko that I have come here to meet them (convicts)," he said. 

Sources told TOI that Murugan and Perarivalan spoke to Jethmalani in English. "The three became emotional when they first saw him," said a source. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...