Monday, July 25, 2011

Magic in khaki: white becomes black overnight





















Burdwan, July 25: Burdwan superintendent of police Humayun Kabir today rode a black Scorpio to work, switching from a white Innova provided by a sand dealer to cement his “good relations” with the law enforcers.
Writers’ Buildings has launched a probe to find out if any impropriety has been committed and how the senior-most officer in the district came to use a private car when two air-conditioned commercial vehicles had been earmarked for him.


The Telegraph had published on Monday the report of the SP using the private car, which officials said rules do not permit.
“We are collecting details on the SP’s car. We will submit a report to the DG (director-general of police) who will take the final decision whether action needs to be taken,” additional director-general of police (law and order) Surajit Kar Purakayastha said at Writers’.
Police sources said the SP today asked the driver of the Innova, Chandan Bag, to take the car back to its owner.
Kabir, the SP, said he had started an inquiry into the matter. “I did not use the car today and returned it to the owner. I have also sought details of the vehicle from the district motor transport officer. I don’t know the owner and did not take any advantage from him. He had applied to convert his car into a commercial one but has not got the approval yet,” the officer said.
Jogindra Barman, the owner of the Innova, had said yesterday that he had given the car for the SP’s use and did not take any money.
“See, I am a sand dealer and I have to keep good relations with the police. I have given my Innova for the use of the SP as part of my public relations exercise with the police,” Barman had said.
Today, Barman said the SP had returned his car after removing the beacon and advised him not to speak to the media. “I got my car back today. The news report has spoiled my relations with the police. The SP also asked me not to speak to the media about the car,” said Barman, who owns sand quarries in Burdwan’s Raina and Khandaghosh.
However, Barman also said: “I had given the car on hire to the police after the elections were announced. I had not taken it back.” Asked whether he had any document to prove it, Barman said: “No, I don’t have any document.”
A senior district official said that no vehicle could be requisitioned during elections without a document. “Private cars are requisitioned for elections and proper receipts are given by the administration. Money is paid to the owner for a requisitioned car,” the official said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...