Tuesday, September 27, 2011

'As a Kashmiri, I know your pain,' Rahul Gandhi tells students in J&K














Jammu:  It's the second day of Rahul Gandhi's visit to Jammu and Kashmir. The Congress General Secretary is in the state to mobilise the youth to join his party. 

Today, he will be in Rajouri at the Convention of Elected Representatives of Panchayats and will meet potential candidates of the Youth Congress. Later in day, he will interact with students in Jammu.

Mr Gandhi met students of Kashmir University in Srinagar yesterday as well. He reached out to the youth and said as a Kashmiri, he feels their pain.

"I am a Kashmiri as a lot of you must be aware. So the pain and suffering of this place is my pain and suffering as well," he said.

He also talked about the assassinations in his family. "I want to share my personal story which I have never shared before. I was in a class looking outside the window, a person came into my class, said something to the teacher and I was told that there is phone call for me.  I went to principal's office and picked up the phone and a lady on the other side was crying and asked to come back home immediately. When I reached home I came to know that my grandmother was shot dead," Mr Gandhi said.

He then invited some students to visit Delhi and promised them to take to ministries to share their concern with them.

Yesterday, the Congress General Secretary also paid a surprise visit to the Hazratbal shrine in Srinagar. 

The visit will help the Congress general secretary better understand the issues related to youth in the state, party said sources.

The Congress and National Conference are partners in Kashmir's coalition government headed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who enjoys Rahul Gandhi's "support" in New Delhi.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...