Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rahul Gandhi in Kashmir, makes surprise visit to Hazratbal














Srinagar:  Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi, who is on a two-day tour to Jammu and Kashmir, today paid a surprise visit to the Hazratbal shrine in Srinagar. Mr Gandhi is in the state to mobilise the youth to join the Congress. 

During his tour, he also reached out to Kashmiri youth, interacting with students of Kashmir University in Srinagar identifying himself with the suffering of the people.

"I want to share my personal story which I have never shared before. I was in a class looking outside the window, a person came into my class, said something to the teacher and I was told that there is phone call for me.  I went to principal's office and picked up the phone and a lady on the other side was crying and asked to come back home immediately. When I reached home I came to know that my grandmother was shot dead," Mr Gandhi said.

Mr Gandhi also invited some students to visit Delhi and promised them to take to ministries to share their concern with them.

The visit will also help the Congress general secretary better understand the issues related to youth in the border-state, said sources.

Mr Gandhi is scheduled to address a public meeting in Kargil.

The Congress general secretary will follow a similar itinerary on September 27 and attend a meeting of elected panchayat representatives in Rajouri district, followed by an interaction with students in Jammu.

The Congress and National Conference are partners in Kashmir's coalition government headed by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, who enjoys Rahul Gandhi's "support" in New Delhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...