Saturday, July 23, 2011

Steve Waugh rates Eden Gardens Test as his best

 



















 London: Former Australia captain Steve Waugh was in the stands to watch the 2000th Test match between India and England at Lord's. On the occasion, the Aussie revealed his favourite Test match.
 Which is the best ever Test match according to you?
Among the 1999 Test matches, if I have to speak about one Test that would be the game at Eden Gardens in 2001 where India won after following on. How can we forget Laxman's innings of 281? In my opinion that is the best Test match in the game's history.

Your take on ICC's Dream XI...
As far as the Dream XI is concerned, I was surprised not to see Garfield Sobers in that list. How can you have a Dream XI without a dream player like Sir Gary? The Indians voted the maximum number and that's the reason four Indian cricketers made it to that team.

On Zaheer Khan!
Zaheer is a key player and if India don't get his service, they will surely struggle. Zaheer is a class act with rich experience. He is a genuine match-winner. If India have to win, Zaheer's presence is a must.

How do you rate India's performance?
They are doing well for quite sometime. They not only have match-winners, but a good bunch of talented cricketers too. On top of it, almost six-seven cricketers are same old faces who are playing together for quite sometime. This really helps a lot when the team is hungry and eager to win. We had (Adam) Gilchrist, (Shane) Warne, (Glenn) McGrath, (Damien) Martyn and we also won many matches because we were playing with these boys at a stretch for many Test matches.

Will you get involved with Australian cricket?
I do not have time to get involved with Australian cricket. I am too busy with my business and other commitments. As far as cricket is concerned, I attend MCC meetings whenever they invite me.

Your view on England's battle for top spot!
England are a great contender to challenge India's supremacy. They are trying to do well. They have been playing good cricket since the last two years. If India have to dominate the world cricket, then the reserve bench has to improve. They should not feel the pinch in the absence of one or two major cricketers. I believe that a No. 1 team will try to win in any circumstances. They should be ready to take up any challenge.

On the lie-detector test!
I think cricketers all over the world should come forward and try to erase the black spot which has been tagged with the great game. I am happy to know that Andrew Strauss has agreed to speak in front of lie-detectors.

On Brian Lara!
I will definitely try to keep Brian Lara close to Sachin Tendulkar. He is also genuinely a big cricketer and a great match-winner. I wish Lara had the appetite like Sachin.

Your charity in Kolkata!
I am still involved with Udayan, an orphanage in Kolkata. How can I forget those faces who look up to me when they are struggling with life? I will again go to meet them soon. I will try to raise some funds for them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...